Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Meal Planning & Couponing

Thanks to Debbie J at Homemaking Dreams and Maryann at Mrs. Maryann's House for motivating me try again to get back in the groove with my grocery coupons, lists and menu planning.  Keep posting about your progress girls so I will stay motivated to continue until it becomes habit AGAIN!

I consider myself very fortunate to be a fulltime homemaker and an I feel that an important part of that job is save and make the best use of our family funds.  The money I save with couponing and proper planning is what I call my  "financial contribuition" to the family income.  It may sound like a silly thought, but when I was working full time I was spending more money on food and household supplies because I didn't have time to coupon and make extra stops at various stores for sale items.  Kudos to you Debbie for being able to juggle both. 

Here is what I plan on working on today, cleaning expired coupons, clipping the ones from Sunday's paper.  I also will be checking my flyers for deals at CVS, Rite Aid  and the two local grocery stores.  Menu planning will also be part of this adventure while checking the pantry to see what I have, etc.  We also have a surplus store called Marden's that purchases merchandise in large lots that I like to frequent regularly, I never know what they will have, for instance yesterday I found a 16 pack of the brand of soap we use for 7.99 (.50/bar) and felt that was a great deal, so we will be set hopefully, until I find some on sale again.  A while back I found flats of 12 can of Green Giant Nibblets Corn for a great price and purchased 2 and when I came home my son keep teasing saying "we will be eating alot of corn, mom bought a 2 pallets of it" lol.  In the past I have done a great job stocking my pantry with CVS Extra Bucks savings, coupons, etc and love it when I don't have to pay full price for shampoo, paper towels, toilet paper, etc but when I don't keep up with  it I feel like all that work is for nothing when I run out and have to pay full price for those items.  Here is my workstation all set to go!!

Also wanted to let you know that my son Nathan returned from Kansas City on Saturday and although he didn't win first place, he placed 6th overall, he had a great time.  They had alot of activities planned and I was jealous, Mike Holmes from Holmes on Homes was a guest speaker at the opening ceremonies!

Gotta get to work.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Denise,
    I agree that as a homemaker we certainly do earn our keep by all the money-saving things that we do. It's a full-time job in itself. You are doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Denise. I need to get back into couponing again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Mike Holmes too! Good for your son on doing so well and getting home safely.

    You are doing a great job with your grocery/drug store/coupon/ pantry organization. I struggle with finding time to do it, but I enjoy it. I like your thinking that it is your financial contribution to the family. Its true, too!

    Good luck with your couponing! Its fun to come up with something interesting at a great price. Yesterday at cvs I got a $2.00 Pantene shampoo coupon from the machine at the front and then found them on clearance for $2.50. I got an EB from scanning the green tag on my reusable bag 4 times, so I made 50 cents on that trip and got a good bottle of shampoo for free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so need to go through my coupons and get back to frugal shopping

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could make the time to cut coupons, but there's just so many hours in the time. Have you visited the quilt department at Marden's yet? You'll find significant savings there as well.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing your comments, sorry I had to turn on the "word verification" but I got my first comment from a "non-person".......I prefer comments from people.