Thursday, December 2, 2010

How Cute.....

On Saturday I went to my Fat Quarter Quilting group and started my next little quilt.  I was able to cut and piece the first square and when I measured the final product it was 1/4" too small all the way around :0(    Need to check out my portable machine, not sure if something is off with the 1/4" foot.  But anyways I went home and redid that block on my other machine and it came out great!  I was wondering what to do with the block that was too small but otherwise was fine.....well I remembered the cute little pin cushions that Terry makes (I was the lucky recipient of one in a giveaway) and decided I would use this block to make my first one! 

I started with the block, this one was 4 1/4"  square, then I took a piece from my scraps and made a 4 1/4" backing, sewed them RIGHT sides together leaving a space to turn it right sides out and fill.  I filled it with crushed corn cob, I wanted to use crushed walnut shells but wasn't able to find any locally.  After you fill then sew the opening shut and I used a button that I had for the middle.  What do you think?

I was hoping to get more done in the sewing room, instead I did some stuff around the house I even made some chocolate chip cookies! 


6 comments:

  1. Oh that is so cute...What a neat idea..Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little pin cushion is really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! It's just beautiful! Is the crushed corn cob light or heavy? I've heard of using rice or sand to fill pincushions too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise,
    This is so cute. I have been making Miss Candi some new Place Mats. Today I am off to run a few errands and pick up some floss for a new project I am going to start.
    Have a wonderful and blessed week end.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, its cute as a button! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute, cute! Love that little pillow. I like that you filled it with corn. :)
    Blessings to you~ Birgit

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing your comments, sorry I had to turn on the "word verification" but I got my first comment from a "non-person".......I prefer comments from people.