Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Wonderful Smell of Canning

Right now my house smells like onions and vinegar, I love the smell of the house when I make relish and pickles! The rest of the family is happy that the windows can be wide open and will be happier when I'm finished and the smell goes away.

The weather is wonderful, so wonderful I decided to get some cukes to make Bread and Butter pickles.  So this beautiful bounty will soon be tasty pickles!
Wish I could say that I grew the cukes, but I did support a local farmer when I bought them.  The plan is to make the garden plot large enough to grow my own next year, maybe I will try onions and garlic too!

I still have enough of this.................................

../..to make a second batch of relish.  The zucchini came from my mom's garden the red pepper and onions are from the grocery store, the green pepper came from a local farm, unfortunately mine are not that large.

Right now my house smells like onions and vinegar, I love the smell of the house when I make relish and pickles!  The rest of the family is happy that the windows can be wide open and will be happy when I'm finished and the smell goes away. 

2 comments:

  1. I love all the smells that go with canning. I especially love the smell of pickle relish with the vinegar and onions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread and Butter pickles are my all time favorite! I hope to make raspberry jam this week, lets hope the weather cooperates! Hope your chickens are thriving. Sending greetings from Dog Trot Farm, Julie.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing your comments, sorry I had to turn on the "word verification" but I got my first comment from a "non-person".......I prefer comments from people.